Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
subeditor
Admin

Report 3/2/17

Post by subeditor » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:51 pm

What a start to 2017 some great fish in the mix and some fantastic weather to boot. Big golden trevaly are always a feature this time of year with some good specimens coming aboard on our guide boats.

The pelagic fishing has been a little patchy with fish moving about the bay not holding in one spot for more than a day it seems. Things will improve with the pelagics when we get some seasonal rain to get the bait moving. As we move into February we should see the first tropical low come down our way at some point. This usually marks the start of the longatil season. The past few days I have seen a few signs that the longtails are not far away, with some small patches spotted yesterday on our way, home so fingers crossed for a good season.
HerveyLongtail317.jpg
HerveyQueen3217.jpg
Closer to home guests have enjoyed some great inshore reef fishing, using a range of techniques. Coral trout, mackerels, cod and golden trevally have been rergular catches on our half day guided fishing trips. We have had some great variety during January witch included queenfish, cobia, mac tuna,scarlets,cod,golden trevally, tea leaf trevally,bludger trevally,giant trevally,diamond trevally,flathead,school mackerel,Spanish mackerel,broadbar mackerel,cod,coral trout, grunter and more.
HerveyTrout3217.jpg
Looking towards February longtail tuna will start to feature more as our target species as I have mentioned, but with the longtails turning up queenfish, broad bar mackerel and mac tuna will also move in and create havoc over our Autumn season. Top water lures will be a go to for many with stick baits like Nomad’s Mad Scad getting good results, along with pencil poppers like cotton cordels on longtails and queenfish. Saltwater fly anglers will also be getting excited about our Autumn fishery with longtail tuna a ton of fun for the fly angler. We look forward to the month ahead with both Murray and I excited about the up and coming tuna season.

We usually get a few bone fish each year, in January we had a guest luck enough to land one once again. They fight very similar to a snapper in my opinion on spin gear, with quick darting runs which often fool you thinking it is a snapper.
HerveySnap3217.jpg
HerveyBone317.jpg
Other News:
Winter Snapper Bookings:
Before we know it the snapper will be hear make sure you get in early to secure the best tides for some winter snapper fishing. Targeting these great sportfish on the calm waters of the bay is a great experience.Email fishing@herveybaysportfishing.com.au for rates and dates.

Ifish This Sunday at 5:30
Our Ifish black Marlin episode is on this Sunday at 530 pm on One HD. Watch Cristy and Paul tangle with our juvenile black marlin along the flats of Fraser Island. It’s a great episode showcasing our amazing fishery, not all go's as planned with some epic wipe outs.
HerveySpotting3217.jpg
Hosted Trips To Christmas Island 2017:
We have a few spots available on our trip to Kiribati in August 2017 (Christmas Island) next year.
The dates are 23-30 of August which are new moon tides. Target species over there are bonefish, trigger fish, blue trevally, Gt and lady fish in the lagoon and wahoo,sail fish, yellow fin tuna etc offshore on saltwater fly tackle.
It is a great trip for fly anglers of all levels of experience.It truly is one of the best fly fishing destinations on the planet. If you are interested in joining our group please drop me a email. fishing@herveybaysportfishing.com.au

Andrew and the team

Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
http://www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
http://www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing