Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Report Saturday 19 May 07

Post by Brad » Sat May 19, 2007 8:02 am

Hervey Bay
Light winds are forecast for the weekend, so launch the boat and get amongst the action. Bottom fisho’s will need to time their trip around the big tides the next couple of days or so. Fish the run in and the start of the run out. The morning run in will also favor the land based fisho. Good luck to all the Anglers competing in the Toyota Fraser Island fishing expo at Orchid beach 19th-25th of May.

Reports this week of plate size snapper at the Arty early morning and late afternoon. The last of the run up tide seems to be the most productive time. A good technique we use to increase our catches is using a burly trial. Just a small handful of cubes of Pillies at regular intervals will bring the snapper around. Also change your sinker size as the tide slows up. This will present your baits more naturally. Snapper have a size limit of 35cm and a bag limit of 5 per person.

Still a few sweet lip and blackall on the ledges around the eastern side of Big Woody Island. A few greasy parrot and blackall in the Channel hole. Mack tuna down through the Sandy Straits also a few small schools of long tail tuna spotted around the Kingfisher Bay area.

Golden Trevally caught up to 8kg’s in the shallows at the graves (top of big woody eastern side) trolling gold 2.5 meter hard body lures. School mackerel early morning around the Fairway buoy, nu2 beacon and out at the bait grounds.

This time of year we see the bream turn up around the rock walls down at the harbor, along the foreshore at Burrum Heads and off the pier. Good reports of flathead at River Heads, the mouth of Eli creek as well as the creeks on the western side of Fraser. Soft plastics are still proving to be deadly on these big lizards.

Winter whiting have been reeled in this week at Gatakers bay, the bottom of Big woody, Round Island and south of the Boat harbor rock wall. Look for the cluster of boats or drift until you locate your own school. Live yabbies and strips of squid as bait is working very well. You can improve your catch rate by incorporating a burley trail. We have a large selection of burley pellets, tuna oils, burley dispenses and we will give you advice on choosing the right burley for your type fishing.

The pier is producing school mackerel and mack tuna on live herring, good size bream at night around the pylons. Good summer whiting reported of Dundowran beach as well as in between the two rock groins on Shelly beach.

Baitrunner Fishing Charters Rainbow Beach Ph 07 54868666.
Good snapper, peal perch, moses perch and a few hussar 20 miles east of the Wide Bay also a 16kg amberjack caught on 10kg line.

Freshwater Report.
Lenthalls has fished reasonably this past week for bass and the odd barra. Owner Mira vibe lures are working well on the bass as well as spinner baits cast in towards the drop offs and the weed edges. Professional eel fishermen have caught a massive 2 tone of eel over the last month on the dam. I am told these eels will be exported live to China.

With the new moon tides this weekend the fishing should be good; these are my favourite tides of the month as all the predatory species are feeding hard. I have been spending plenty of time with clients chasing long tail tuna on fly and spin tackle with mixed results, some days are great others the fish won’t touch a thing, right down to 20 gram slugs and one inch flies.

Mark “Bargy” Bargenquast
I recently went for an early morning fish with Sid Boshammer to explore new ground; we launched the boat at 5 am and were off the water by 10 am with over 20 bass to 50 cm on surface lures, exciting stuff. It looks like the sharks have finally left us alone both on the artificial reef and offshore from the bottom bar, anyone who has had a good reef fish bite ruined by sharks will take this as welcome news, its pretty bad to have an 8 kg snapper or a big red emperor knocked off at the gills.

Winter whiting are still in good numbers and should bite well on these tides, summer whiting should make an appearance as the water cools, we need 22 degrees or less at present its about 24 deg. There are some good tiger squid around the usual places and a few pencil squid are coming on. Well I'd better go as I have a 5 am start tomorrow.
Till next week, tight lines.