Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Report Firday 22 Jun 07

Post by Brad » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:06 am

Wow! How cold is it! It has been quite a while since Hervey Bay has experienced this kind of cold snap, it can only mean good things for the winter species fish. If you dare brave the cold. It’s bream season, and they are thick everywhere at the moment. Good size bream can be found anywhere there is the tiniest amount of structure. The better places have been around the rock wall at the Harbour and also around the old oyster leases at Gatakers Bay. The full tide on the run out should be the better time to pick up the big ones. Try chicken gut or mullet gut as bait, it also helps to infuse the bait with the tiniest bit of aniseed liquid.

Lure fishing for bream is worth a go this time of year especially with small light weighted soft plastics or suspending lures like the Owner range we have in stock. Casting a suspending lure in towards structure, crank it down then pause, twitch the rod tip then pause again. By doing this you are holding the lure in the strike zone longer to entice a strike. For more information on lure fishing for bream or other species drop in to see the guy’s here at the shop. Winter whiting are in patches out the front of Dundowran Beach, north of Gatakers Bay. Also around Big Woody Island. They still seem to like those Berkley gulp worms, many anglers reporting success with the new camo colour released recently.

Long tail tuna have been reported at 6 mile reef off Arch Cliffs, and these fish have some size about them, giving anglers quite a bit of curry on 8kg line. They are also showing up down the south end of the straits in numbers. Flathead have been good on soft plastics on the western side of Fraser with good catches around Wathumba Creek and Moon. Again Berkley Power Baits and Snapbacks have been the pick of the plastics.
I am off to go sit on the heater.

Baitrunner Fishing Charters Rainbow Beach Ph 07 54868666.
Big spaniards and cobia to 25kg put up a fight for anglers. The pearl perch, moses and snapper were all of good size and numbers. Quite a few parrot fish were landed as well. Lots of mackerel just out from the bar.

Freshwater Report.
The cooler winds have almost made lenthals dormant for the time being. Not many reports of bass and barra have come in during the week, although a couple of eager fisho’s braved the monotonous casting time and time again. They were rewarded with 5 bass, the largest 49cm, and 2 barra. Just goes to prove if you are more stubborn than the fish, you’ll come up trumps more times than not.

Fishing Report from Local Guide, Mark “Bargy” Bargenquast.
The weather this week has gone from cool to bloody freezing, I confess, I hate winter. The forecast for this weekend is all over the place but generally 15-20 SW turning 15-20 SE for Saturday. Not much fishing has been done this week but if you must go for a fish the estuaries or artificial reef would be good early mornings, mainly early to beet the noise from boat traffic which does put fish off.

Good summer whiting are starting to school up in all the usual places and winter whiting are here also. Snapper like a cool change and are definitely worth a go on the small tides this weekend. Talk to the boys at the shop for some advice on baits and techniques. Lately I have been launching from river heads and heading south to fish around Inskip Point, by using the shortcuts I learned as a kid in the area the trip now is only about 45 minutes with some terrific scenery and fishing opportunities on the way. the freshwater scene is very slow for barra with many hours spent per fish but the bass are still biting, even on surface lures like the small cultiva's and heddon tiny torpedoes.

Have you ever heard of whiting on poppers, I did and gave it a go last week and caught three on my first attempt all over 30 cm. They hit with such ferocity I thought they were much bigger fish like tailor or trevally. Any of the small bass versions will work; slow twitches seem to pull more strikes. Short report this week due to bad weather so see you next week.