Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 15 May 08

Post by Brad » Thu May 15, 2008 1:06 pm

Good bream have been caught around the rocky outcrops at River Heads this week on both bait and lures. Mullet gut and pillies have been working well when fished off the boat ramp at night with a small ball sinker and bait holder hook being the common rig. Three inch soft plastics have een very productive in natural colours fished on 2 gram jig heads. Cultiva Mirashads have again been producing fish with a slow twitching action being the best method. Try using long fluorocarbon leaders around the 6lb mark as it is very abrasive resistant around the sharp rocks and invisible under the water.

Flathead can be found around the mouth of the Burrum as well as the western side of Fraser. 3-6inch soft plastics in the Squidgy, Berkley and Snapback range have been working best with mullet colours, white and pink working best. In most spots these plastics can be fished on a 1/6 or ¼oz head with a 14-30lb fluorocarbon leader. Ensure that your plastics are regularly making contact with the bottom as this stirs up the sand and mud and attracts the flathead. School mackerel, broad-barred mackerel and bluefin tuna are being caught off the pier on live herring and 50gm Flasha Spoons. Smaller herring seem to be working better so downsizing in bait jig size may be an option when gathering bait. Livies can either be fished under a float or unweighted to allow them to swim freely.

Gatakers Bay is again producing the usual reef species with some nice snapper and sweetlip being caught. Fishing strips of squid and pillie down a berley trail can usually see a feed of fish taken home. Trolling a lure whilst traveling to your spot is worth a go, its a great way to pick up a cod or coral trout. Good schools of winter whiting can be found around Dundowran beach and the bottom of Round Island and big woody. Squid, prawns, worm and yabbies are the best baits and can be fished on either a size 4 or 6 long shank hook. Berkley Gulp Worms in bloody, natural and camo have also been working well. At the tip of Big Woody there have been some nice local tiger squid. On the last two hours at the bottom of the tide is the best period to target them. Remember to take a variety of sizes and colours.

Again the Arti is fishing well for snapper and grassy sweetlip with some good fish caught around the 3 ships. Drifting with live baits such as herring and small pike have been most productive methods. Over the last week catches of nannygai, snapper and cod have been reported from Roonies. Live baits have been the best method as well as Berkley 7 inch Gulp Jerk Shads. The usual pelagics have been caught as well on white Snapbacks and 50gm blue Lazers retrieved quickly.

Rainbow Beach Report courtesy Rainbow Beach Fishing Charters - www.rainbowbeachfishing.com.au Ph: 07 54868666
Well not a lot to report this week on the offshore scene, as I went to Victoria last Friday .After checking the weather Friday morning I booked a flight, arriving to Avalon where the Temp was about 10 degrees and it hovered around 11 all Saturday. I loaded the boat before I left as Craig did the Saturday charter and from all reports the group on board had a great day. The conditions were a bit joggly and most of the day was spent on the close reefs. There were some good squire landed around the 6 mile, parrot , moses perch , maori cod. Closer in scarlett sea perch, greasy cod, trevally, and amberjack were landed.

Wayne from Rainbow Camping tells me there have been good catches of dart and whiting with a few spotty mackerel down towards the Inskip Point area. Beach conditions are now very good. Whilst in Victoria, I refuelled the car 3 times for 140 c per litre. I thought fuel was meant to be 10c cheaper in Qld with the govt subsidy. Whoever voted for Beattie should start asking questions, with the price of unleaded fuel for my vessel now costing $1.55 / litre. I can see all charter operators putting up prices shortly, which will be unfortunate . Well thats it for this week, so with a good weather forecast for the weekend, lets hope they are hungry.

Tony Stewart, (Baitrunner) 54868666.
Freshwater Report-Lake Lenthalls Report
Bass are being caught this week on TT Spinnerbaits in the red nightmare colour with ¼ and 3/8 sizes working best. Basstrix Paddle Tails are also working well in the white colour and can be fished on either a weedless hook or jig head.

Lake Monduran Report : Courtesy Jason Wilhelm Charter Operator
Monduran has fished well over the past week with fish being caught regularly. A 121cm barra was reported yesterday and was caught on a Stiffy Boney Bream. The Boney Breams are a great lure and have been working best in the green and gold and silver colours. B52s and Bombers have been the other lures of choice with flashy profiles such as silver or gold being the pick of the bunch.

Lake Awoonga Report : Courtesy Jason Wilhelm Charter Operator.
Awoonga is still a little bit patchy with the dam fishing good one day and bad the next. At the moment the dam is very weather dependant with the fish heading for deeper water when the water is clear and for the shallows on the windy days. The usual lures such as Slick Rigs in the Pro Range, B52s, Stiffy Boney Breams and X raps have been working best. Visit Jase's website at www.barramadness.com for bookings and tour information.

Fishing Report from Local Guide, Mark Bargy Bargenquast.
No Report.
If you would like to book a trip with Bargy just give him a ring on 0427 230 261 or visit www.fraserguidedfishing.com.au