Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 8 Mar 12

Post by Brad » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:20 am

What can I say, another week and more floodwaters for the Hervey Bay and Sandy Straits area. The runoff from the Mary River is still affecting the eastern parts of the Bay with muddy waters and moderate to fresh winds combining to ensure that my favourite spots around the Marina break walls remained unfishable over the past week. The flood water is expected to continue to affect the quality of fishing in the eastern areas over the coming weekend. On Wednesday morning, Barra were reported to be attacking gar around the Gatakers Bay headland but unfortunately would not touch anything that the anglers threw at them. Sounds like gar will be on the fresh bait list this weekend!

With the winds expected to continue from the SE over the weekend, I would expect to find the best fishing conditions around the western end of the Bay with ‘out of the wind’ areas such as Gatakers Bay, Point Vernon headland, Eli Creek flats and the rocks at ESA Park being the pick. Berleying on the slack of the tides should also assist in bringing the fish into your casting range. The full moon on Thursday night and the large tides over the weekend should provide some excellent fishing conditions. Keep an eye on your favourite spots as the big tides should also assist to dissipate the dirty waters quickly and conditions will change from one day to the next. Let’s hope that the fish are also cooperative.

This weekend sees the Hervey Bay Family Fishing Competition being run from Friday to Sunday at Dayman Park, Urangan so we can expect an influx of people attending the function and fishing the fabulous waters around the Bay. Welcome to Hervey Bay and tight lines for you all. Remember: Fishing isn’t a matter of life and death…….. It’s much more important than that!
Until next week,
John

Jimm8

Re: Weekly Report 8 Mar 12

Post by Jimm8 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi John
The kids and I love your reports we live in Point Vernon and the kids love to go to Eli Creek fishing. It's great to have a local with plenty of knowledge about the area and is as pashonate about fishing as we all are in our family.

Tight Lines
Jimm8