Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 15 Mar 12

Post by Brad » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Family fun was definitely the order of the day for the Hervey Bay Family Fishing competition last weekend. Nearly 500 entries fished the three days of the competition vying for a share of the prizes in both the live and dead categories. Yours truly fished the ebb tides from the shores of Gatakers Bay with freshly caught gar but to no avail. Strike 1. Thinking my luck must change, I made multiple ‘donations’ to the Raffle Wheel each afternoon in an attempt to win a 60 litre icebox. Strike 2. My weekends run of luck continued when the final number drawn to win a boat was one number from my own. Strike 3. Maybe next time! The fresh from the Mary River floodwaters continues to have an impact on the quality of the fishing results for the land based angler around the Bay this week. A few prawns have been caught by the young boys from the pontoons in the marina. They report that numbers are down but a feed can be had with a little effort.

The beaches along the Esplanade are still holding good schools of bait fish. While fishing for some fresh gar early this week, small pelagics could be seen smashing into them quite close to the beach. Live herring caught and fished from the Urangan Pier have also yielded some nice catches over the past few days. These catches should improve this weekend as the dirty water continues to disperse and the winds abate. I managed to get a couple of hours on the shallow reefs off Urangan on Thursday with my son. The water was still discoloured however the fish seemed to be hungry and we boated 6 different species in the time we had available so thing are looking up for this weekend. Thought for the weekend: Put a smile on a kids face, take them fishing.