Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 7 Apr 12

Post by Brad » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:39 am

What a turnaround from last week’s weather in Hervey Bay. Although the wind has been fairly constant from the Southerly directions, it has dried the land out and the waters around the Bay have started to clear. The full moon and its associated bigger tides this weekend should finish the fresh off and we will be back to normal once again. The Weather Bureau advises that there is an excellent prospect for a sunny Easter weekend ahead. Although 15/20 knot winds are predicted at time of this report, the actual strength recorded this week appears to be much less than predicted especially from late evening until early morning when it is quite still.

Boaties are expecting to find long tail and mac tuna in the Platypus Bay area north of Moon Point. Bait schools are everywhere and overall, they should present great fishing opportunities for pelagics in all areas of the bay. Coral Bream, Snapper and Moses Perch are among the species that will also be targeted on the reefs in the Bay area. Live baits should also entice Blackall (yabbies) and coral trout (herring & pike) this weekend. Shore based anglers should find plenty of variety fishing from the Urangan pier. Not only is it convenient to access but is very safe for a family outing. Whiting, bream, flathead and gar may be found in the shallower waters while shovel nose shark, queenfish and the occasional pelagic could be on the menu from the deeper waters towards the end of the pier. Live baits caught from the pier are definitely the go in the deeper waters.

Whiting are still being caught from the Toogoom, Eli Creek flats and Torquay/Shelly Beach areas on an incoming tide. I like to pump yabbies from the flats at the mouth of Eli Creek and move around the Bay until I locate the fish. The winter whiting should also be starting to show offshore as the nights are cooling down quite noticeably. I will be attending the Burrum Heads Fishing Competition which starts on Good Friday both as a Competitor and Researcher. Any flathead to be weighed in for the competition must be live which will ensure that the breeding stock remains in good health. Well done organisers.

I hope to get out on the water with some mates from Brisbane over the weekend so will be able to report on our ‘catch’ next week. We are hoping to fish the close reef primarily offshore from Gatakers Bay. If the winds are blowing, we will concentrate on chasing whiting and flathead from the beaches around Toogoom and Burrum.
Good luck and enjoy your fishing experience this Easter.
Until next week,
John