Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 27 Apr 12

Post by Brad » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:55 am

A great weekend for the boaties with all round good weather and a huge amount of piscatorial activity in the Bay waters. My son, nephew and myself spent an excellent day on Sunday around Samys and Moon and caught a mixed bag of reef fish including coral bream, blackall, golden Trevally and squire to name a few. I tried fishing with live baits and 50 lb mono and was totally ‘destroyed’ on numerous occasions. No doubt some ‘breakoffs’ were due to the numerous sharks that are presently in the area but more likely to be the rustiness of my fishing skills after a long layoff. Only time will tell. (A bad fisherman cannot blame his rods and reels!) Numerous reports of good pelagic action for mac tuna and longtails in Platypus Bay’s northern regions continue to be received. The winds are predicted to be increasing this weekend so keep an eye on the weather before venturing out.

In the estuaries, River Heads is still fishing well with flathead, grunter and bream being the most prolific around the mouth. With the colder weather starting to set in, the bream fishing should be on the improve. Barra and threadfin are also being reported in the straits to the south. Urangan Jetty continues to provide a feed of whiting, flathead and bream for the family and also the occasional golden Trevally from the deep end. Live baits are doing the damage on the larger species.

Gatakers Bay fishermen report that the first of the winter whiting are slowly arriving in the area. It should also be noted that, although there is no size limit on the winter whiting, there is now a bag limit of 50. The whiting should also be around Toogoom/Dundowran area and in the waters to the South of Round Is. Burrum Heads reports good fishing for whiting, grunter, bream and flathead in the lower reaches.
The smaller tides this weekend should be a good time to fish our numerous estuaries and foreshore areas for whiting, bream and flathead before we start to get back into the bigger tides next week. Live mullet fished in the deeper holes of any waterway should provide excellent sport on anything from Barra to Cod and Jew to Salmon. I will once again be fishing the Eli Creek area and Torquay foreshores for whiting as these beautiful fish are highly prized by my wife and I can earn some ‘brownie points’ before the bream season sets in.