Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 11 May 12

Post by Brad » Fri May 11, 2012 10:59 am

On Monday night, I fished the high tide at Toogoom with live yabbies for a dozen nice whiting. Reports from Burrum and Toogoom through to Eli Creek are that there are still more available and they should still be biting this weekend. Live yabbies on a rising tide seem to be the go. WOW, I had forgotten how many snags were at River Heads until Wednesday evening. I thought that I would do a recon for the bream season and see what had changed since I last fished the area. After losing approximately 30 rigs in three hours I called it quits for the night. Plenty of bites, excellent runs and bait fish/prawns galore about the boat ramps but OMG the never ending snags! I will have to try something different next time (Any suggestions?). It should be noted that no sinkers were hurt in the making of this story.

The big tides of last weekend didn’t allow for much fishing time on the Urangan Jetty because of the run. Even my #8 sinkers couldn’t hold bottom for long. This weekend should be better with the smaller tides and the vast amount of baitfish in the area. Bream, flathead, golden Trevally and queenfish should once again be on the bite for this weekend. The area around River Heads and into the straits is just alive with small prawns and other bait fish. There should be plenty of fish feeding on them and this weekend should see anything from barra to bream being caught on live bait or prawn imitation lures.
Barra are still being reported from the deeper holes in the Burrum system with large whiting around the mouth. Winter whiting are reported to be improving in numbers all along the coast from Burrum to Point Vernon. Also the flats outside the Marina are worth a try for these tasty fish. I am off to Brisbane for the weekend so won’t be able to ‘get to work’ until Monday. Good luck all.
Until next week,
John