Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 18 May 12

Post by Brad » Fri May 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Wind has been an influence on my fishing for the past few days. I fished the Urangan Pier at the start of the week and every time the wind blew SW-SE at better than 10 knots. This leads to a tendency to fish the outgoing tides as it is more comfortable with your back towards the wind. I saw Golden Trevally, Bream, Flathead and numerous rays and sharks caught during the evening and night. Reports also include queenfish and mackerel being caught during the day.

Thursday afternoon I pumped some yabbies in Eli Creek and went to Toogoom to fish the incoming tide. Only small whiting during the late afternoon but with the onset of evening came a good feed of Whiting, Flathead and Bream. The larger tides for the weekend will be worth fishing the rock walls, beaches and headlands for the bream as they gather for their winter spawning run. I recommend fresh flesh baits dipped in tuna oil as a good start to catching some of these great eating fish.

Diver whiting have been on the improve and are reported to be located around the Shelly Beach area for land based anglers and in the usual spots around Woody and offshore from Point Vernon being suggested starting points. Beaches from Burrum to Point Vernon are still holding nice quality summer whiting. The Burrum River system has reports of good size barramundi and mangrove jack from the upper reaches with queenfish and flathead around the mouth. River Heads and the straits area still has a lot of small prawn activity with the fish only being interested in them. Prawn like lures and live prawns will definitely catch fish in this system if you can obtain some this weekend.

Reports from the wide reefs show that there are good catches of mixed reef including sweetlip, coral trout, snapper, hussar, job fish etc. The new moon should keep the reefies happy and fishing well this weekend no matter which reef system is fished. I intend to visit some closer reefs with my son and nephew over the weekend so will report on the results next week.
Enjoy your weekend and feel free to report any of your catches to me at Hervey Bay Reports
Until next week enjoy the fishing,
John