Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 25 May 12

Post by Brad » Fri May 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Last weekend’s new moon and fair wind conditions allowed me to get out on a reef system off Coongul for my first overnight session. Cod to 9Kg and Blackall ensured that it was a thoroughly enjoyable “research project.” Weather is forecast to affect our fishing this weekend. Rain and 15 knot winds, with a cold snap thrown in, are expected to make conditions uncomfortable to say the least. Finding a spot out of the wind will be the priority. I will be fishing the more sheltered areas like the Burrum River system or the Mary/Susan River system where I can get out of the wind and also have the possibility of catching some good fish. Both these river systems are reported to be yielding barra, salmon, grunter and flathead in fair to good quantities. The Mary has also reported good quantities of prawn in the system. Alive or dead, they are quality bait for all types of fish expected in these river systems.

Winter whiting quantities are also on the improve, with reports of bag limits being reached quite quickly once a school is located. The experts advise drifting the shallow areas from the west of the bottom end of Big Woody to the south of the Boat Harbour and Round Island or off Shelly Beach and Point Vernon until a good school is located, then anchoring up. Live yabbies and strips of squid seem to be the preferred baits. Bream are also on the increase around the headlands, marina walls and piers. The dropping temperatures should see them increase further in numbers and size. Small live herring or half pilchards will get the bigger sized bream but the good old fresh flesh bait will provide plenty of variety.

The Urangan Pier is reported to have yielded golden Trevally, flathead, bream and whiting with the majority being bream. I fished the Urangan Pier for a few hours on dusk last night for a feed of bream. Those putting in the extra effort reported bream to 1kg + during the week. Herring are still in good numbers and a quick jigging session will usually provide all the live or dead bait that you will need for your fishing session. Being from the older generation, I have only recently begun to experiment with braid lines. To date, I am having trouble finding a good knot that is easy to tie (especially at night and with arthritic fingers) to attach my terminal tackle. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Until next week enjoy the fishing, John
Attachments
SDC10878.JPG