Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 22 Jun 12

Post by Brad » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:03 pm

What a difference a week makes! As predicted the weather last weekend allowed the boaties to finally get some action on the reefs around the Bay. I was lucky enough to experience my first overnighter at the Southern Gutters. What a great introduction to fishing deeper water! Between the two of us, we caught our bag limit of snapper and some exceptional sized sweetlip. Other species included hussar, Moses perch, Blackall and Trevally. The same stories of good catches were repeated all around the Bay area. From Rooneys to the Arti and Burrum 8 mile to the 25 Fathom hole, snapper were the target, with most anglers bagging out. One thing that I learnt from the trip was that I was fishing too heavy for the depth. I was using 50lb mono on an overhead reel which, once it got caught on the bottom (150feet below), is very, very hard to break. At one stage during the night, I had the line wrapped around a bollard and it was holding the 25’ boat against the current. I have subsequently changed to 30lb braid for my next trip.

On a different note: I think that it is pretty sad that anglers can catch a nice snapper but, because it is the second one in their bag over 70cm, they have to return it to the sea. I would feel a lot better if there was some indication that, after hauling them to the surface where their bladder is coming out their mouth, they can recover enough to make it back to the bottom before they are dinner for another predator. I suppose this will be another research project for me in the future. The boaties weren’t the only ones to enjoy great fishing this last week. Reports from Burrum to River Heads show that whiting, bream and flathead have been plentiful for land based anglers. Also reports are coming in that the prawn catches off Woodgate are on the improve. Don’t forget the 10 litre limit!

Winter whiting were reportedly abundant off Shelley Beach, the area from Gatakers bay through to Toogoom and the western side of Woody. By the amount of boats seen from the Esplanade during the week, I would suggest bag limits are being easily reached. Bream continue to improve with the usual rock walls and jetties being the preferred spots. Reports of longtail tuna to 16kg being caught off the Urangan Pier were confirmed by photos in the local papers. I feel that no matter where you decide to fish this weekend, you will find a feed.
Good luck to all Until next week
John
Attachments
409F.jpg
409F.jpg (8.29 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
409E.jpg
409E.jpg (9.2 KiB) Viewed 1307 times