Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 6 Jul 12

Post by Brad » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:55 pm

A week of very good weather has seemingly come to an end with strong winds and showers turning to rain predicted for this weekend. This should not deter those seeking a final fishing activity before school starts again on Monday. I spent a few hours on the Urangan Pier on Tuesday evening along with the rest of Hervey Bay it seemed. I stopped counting rods at 40 and was pleased to see so many families fishing this safe and friendly spot. Bream have been the predominant species caught here and should continue to do so for another month or so. Give it a try with the family for this weekend.

There were a number of reports of nice tailor schools in the lower reaches of the Burrum River last week just a few hundred metres upstream from the boat ramp. Mud crabs were also reported from this system. Bream are still being caught around any rocky or snaggy structure from Burrum to River Heads. Try Eli Creek rock wall, Point Vernon, Scarness Jetty, Urangan Pier, Marina Rock walls and the rocks at River Heads boat ramp with unweighted baits. There are also a few big flathead being caught with this method and on lures. Prawns have been scattered in the Woodgate area with a lot of effort required to get your limit. Unfortunately, there are no reports of any prawns from the Mary and Susan rivers this week possibly due to some fresh from the previous weeks rain.

Mixed results have been met in the reef scene with some getting onto good quality snapper and some missing altogether. The good catches seem to be associated with the bait schools so look for them and you should be able to get a feed. Various species of Trevally are also making an appearance throughout the Platypus Bay area. The higher tides at night will see big summer whiting and bream targeted in the western creeks on Fraser Island and down the straits. Blood worms are the go here but live yabbies are second choice. I am still working on the final fit-out of my son’s boat but will be ready for action in the next few weeks so I should be able to include Until next week