Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 13 Jul 12

Post by Brad » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:49 pm

The rainy weather has put a kybosh on the fishing scene with more expected to come this weekend. But, as the saying goes, there is always hope if you have a rod in your hand. There are still reports of nice tailor schools in the lower reaches of the Burrum River along with some small mac tuna scattered around the mouth. Mud crabs are also reported to be in good quantities. I managed to fish the bridge gutter area on Monday night looking for some summer whiting and ended up catching a mixed bag of flathead, whiting and bream. The neap tides did not seem to bring on the activity as much as I would have liked but it was great to spend a little time on the boat.

The bream appear to have also gone off the bite with the smaller tides over the past week but should pickup from this weekend as they get larger heading towards the new moon. I fished last Friday evening at Gatakers Bay for a handful of bream. I noticed that the Council had been doing some reclamation work around the launching ramp in order to stop erosion so that might have impacted on my catch. I intend to try again this weekend. Due to the winds and rain, Boaties had another week of mixed fortune with some snapper coming from the far reef systems in the Platypus Bay area and smaller catches from the close in grounds. Overall the fishing wasn’t as good as expected throughout Hervey Bay but, if the weather gives us a chance, it should improve in the coming days.
Until next week, John