Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 25 Aug 12

Post by Brad » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:47 pm

Hello all,
I am finally ‘back on deck’ and look forward to doing more ‘research’ for these reports.
I managed to fish Toogoom beach on Monday night’s rising tide for 19 nice summer whiting (along with about the same number undersize) using live yabbies. I had to wait until around 8.30pm until the tide was far enough in for the fish to be present and then started by catching 6 in a row. They remained in the area for around one and a half hours then became quite scarce once the tide had turned. The weed problem that was reported on these beaches in past weeks appeared to have disappeared as I had no problems of this nature. It was a good start to my ‘research’.

Around the Bay area, we have had excellent weather for the past week as the dreaded westerly ‘EKKA’ winds have not eventuated this month. Good weather is also predicted for the coming week so there is no excuse for not getting outdoors in the coming days. Reports reveal that there have been vast amounts of BIG flathead throughout the bay. From the Straits and Kingfisher wharf to Burrum Heads, the spawning flathead have been attacking live baits, dead baits and lures with equal vigor. I would suggest that they be the primary target this weekend around creek mouths, sand spits and off the Urangan Pier, as they are great sport on light lines and make great eating. Bream are also still being caught around the rocky foreshores and may also be worth targeting.

Tailor and school mackerel are also reported to be located around the numerous bait schools throughout Platypus Bay, off Burrum Heads, Toogoom and the closer reef systems like the Arti and Gatakers. Tailor are also being caught from the Urangan Pier on dusk but watch the size limits. Fraser Coast Regional Council has advised of the following Boat Ramp Closures for Cleaning in the coming week:
Wednesday 29 August: Beelbie Creek, Morton Street, Powerhouse Park, Walls Camp and Burrum Bridge
Thursday 30 August: River Heads Barge Ramp, North & South Ramps
Friday 31 August: Burrum Heads Caravan Park, Burrum Heads Road and Ross Street
Monday 3 September: Gatakers West, Gatakers East, Gables, Scarness and Torquay

Ramps will be cleaned around the time of low water on dates specified so please be patient
Have a great weekend,
John