Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 7 Sep 12

Post by Brad » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:49 am

Hello all,
Sorry about missing last week’s report as the dreaded ‘lurgy’ caught up with our household and the four sick women kept me busier than usual.LOL
The good weather of the last two weeks has provided a number of opportunities to get out on the water although the wind has been from a northerly direction. I remember when I was training as a Master Fisherman back in the late 80’s, my mentor always said that the fishing in the Bay wasn’t as good when there was a northerly and that the best was when the wind came from the south.

Unfortunately I tested this advice with an overnight trip to a creek on the western side of Fraser Island last Thursday chasing whiting on the full moon when the wind was howling from the north-west. The result was not pretty- 3 Bream and 4 Whiting was the total. Not quite a feed for the five of us but a good learning experience. Most of the reports this week seem to concur with this advice with it being a bit hit and miss throughout.

The estuaries appear to be the main source of quality fish with whiting and big flathead at the top of the list. The most popular areas are reported to be on the flats and gutters outside River Heads and the lower reaches of the Susan, Mary and Burrum rivers. I recently fished the Susan River area with my nephew and we also managed a few mud crabs so don’t forget a few pots when out this weekend. Good catches of whiting have also been reported from the beach end of the Urangan Pier, from Shelly Beach itself and the southern wall of the marina.

Big flathead also continue to be reported throughout the Hervey Bay area from Burrum Heads to River Heads. They are being taken on anything from pillies on ganged hooks to soft plastics and anything in between so should be a prime target for this weekend. If you are going out in the boat keep an eye out for the school mackerel that have been reported to be around the various channel markers. They are good fun to catch and taste good also. As the tides increase over the next week leading up to the new moon we should experience an increase in the fishing activity. Have a great weekend and I’ll catch up with you all next week,
John