Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 27 Sep 12

Post by Brad » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:14 pm

G’day all,
Sorry about missing last week’s report but my bad back prevented me from doing too much except visit the Physiotherapist for treatment. It is slowly getting better and I hope that the reports will continue. The weather has been pretty good with the exception of the winds. They have been coming from all directions and at all sorts of speed that it has limited the fishing experience. As I mentioned in a previous report, I don’t like fishing the Bay area in a northerly so have been researching alternate spots out of the winds. To this end I have been looking at the Straits area south of the River Heads- Kingfisher area as a possible out of the wind solution. I hope to test out my assumption this weekend.

The Urangan Pier continues to provide excellent fishing from the deep end with reports of good sized queenfish, mackerel, golden trevally and tuna being caught over the past weeks. A photo in the local paper shows a golden trevally of 8.5kg caught during the week. Herring are still there in numbers and are the preferred bait for these tough fighters. Unfortunately there is also clumps of weed and schools of jellyfish all around the pier. Locals tell me that these ‘inconveniences’ are to be expected at this time of the year and are not that bad at the moment. The annual Fraser Lions Pier Festival is to take place there on Sunday with a fishing competition for the kids to kick off at 6am. Great prizes and every child that enters will go home with a prize regardless of whether they catch a fish or not. Sounds like an occasion to take the kids out for a fishing experience.

Burrum Heads reports not a lot of action at the mouth of the river due to the northerly winds however, a short way up near the confluence of the other river systems, has been providing bream, barra and a few mangrove jack. If the winds blow from the north this weekend, this spot looks like it will be worth a try. Flathead and whiting will be the ‘go to’ fish for this weekend on the multitude of flats around the bay and in the straits. There are reports of quality whiting and flathead from the straits and western creeks of Fraser Island. Live yabbies and blood worms are the preferred bait for the whiting with slowly worked soft plastics being the best for the flathead. In the Mary and Susan Rivers there have been reports of barra, salmon and grunter as well as a proliferation of good sized flathead.

I managed to get out for a ‘top of the tide’ session on the Arti last night with a few friends. We caught a mixed bag of grassy sweetlip, moses perch, squire and blackall. We had to leave when our ‘10 ball’ sinkers would not hold bottom and the bites stopped. A lesson was learnt by our friend from Brisbane: Don’t use a sand anchor when fishing around wrecks. When he pulled his anchor in and wondering why it was so hard to do so, there was a piece of wreck weighing about 50 kilos attached to the anchor. The fishing on all the reef systems should be good this weekend with the big tides however the winds have to be kind in order that the boaties can get on to their marks. Until next week enjoy the fishing in Hervey Bay,
John