Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 12 Oct 12

Post by Brad » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:43 pm

G’day all,
Not much action to report from the Bay area for this week as the strong and gusty northerly wind has been blowing all week. The north facing foreshores have been getting a pounding and the shallow water has really been stirred up. If the winds drop over the weekend, the dirty water may entice some good sized whiting into the shallows on the higher tides where they can be reached from the shore. Live yabbies or worms would definitely be great bait in this situation.

To date, there are only limited reports from the River Heads/Sandy Straits area where some nice barra and salmon have been caught mainly on live baits. Deep holes with plenty of snags on the low tide are worth a try for these great fighters along with the occasional grunter. Flathead continue to move upstream and are still being caught on live bait, flesh strips, pilchards and soft plastics. The many drains coming of the tidal flats as the tide recedes is always a good starting spot.
The Urangan Pier was reportedly fishing well before the northerlies put a halt to the clear water situation. Mackeral, barra, trevally, queenfish and the odd GT bust-up were reported to have been around the end of the pier before the fishermen were blown away. If the winds are kinder this weekend it would definitely be the place to try for some big fish.

I think the idea this weekend will be to get out of the winds in the many estuaries in the Hervey Bay area from Burrum Heads to Mary and Susan River systems. My nephew and I are planning to fish the Susan/Mary on Monday if the weather is kind to us. He has a small boat and we are going to target flathead and whiting on the drift and if we can find a good hole we will anchor up and try for something bigger. We don’t know a lot about the area but we are having fun exploring and learning as we fish. If you have any suggestions please drop me an email. I promise I won’t tell anybody else! Promise! LOL

Anyway, be careful on the water this weekend if these winds continue.
Until next week enjoy the fishing in Hervey Bay,
John