Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

WeeklyReport 26 Oct 12

Post by Brad » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:54 pm

G’day all,
Unfortunately this week has been a wipeout for me as the winds blew at 25 knots from the north until Wednesday then just for a change they blew 30 knots from the south and as I sit here doing this report it has switched again and according to Willeyweather is gusting at 20 knots from the north. So much for getting out in the boat on the reefs but this type of weather entices you to change from your usual fishing locations.

My house sitting in Toogoom over the past week didn’t quite work out on the fishing front as the weed on the high tides at Toogoom was quite incredible after the constant northerlies. I then tried fishing the outgoing tide about two hours after the high in order to avoid the incoming weed and only caught small whiting. I then tried fishing the incoming about three hours after the low and before the water reached the weed on the higher parts of the beach. Unfortunately this is when the winds shifted to the SE and I didn’t catch a thing over an hour and a half. I fished with live yabbies and soldier crabs on a 4lb braid with a metre leader and the smallest sinker that I can get away with. Better luck next time I say.

Local reports haven’t been pretty due to these incessant winds, however some good reports of jack and medium barra from the Burrum River system mean it would be an opportunity for the boaties to fish a river system that has numerous likely spots for these highly sought after fish. Quality grunter are still being reported in the same areas along with some good flathead. Why not give it a go this weekend for a change? The strong winds have upset the fishing quality on the Urangan Pier and it would be advisable to wait until the water clears before attacking the pelagics that were there before these winds.

With the winds expected to move to the SE tomorrow and increase to 15 knots by Sunday with an accompaniment of rain thrown in for good measure, the western side of Fraser may be the saviour for those chasing whiting, flathead, trevally and queenfish. The window of opportunity may be small but the result might be worth the effort. I have nothing planned for this coming week so will be keeping an eye on the weather and taking advantage of the few opportunities that present themselves. Don’t forget that the Barramundi closed season begins on 01 November.
Until next week enjoy the fishing throughout Hervey Bay,
John