Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 9 Nov 12

Post by Brad » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:11 pm

G’day all,
Firstly let me apologise for the lack of a report last week. Unfortunately, a family emergency took me out of the Bay for a week. All is good now (fingers crossed). The winds still continue to play a part in the fishing action in Hervey Bay. Although they haven’t been as strong as the weeks before, they are predicted to pick up from the SE by Sunday. At this stage Saturday afternoon, which is when the winds are expected to change from NE to SE, looks the most likely time for boaties to get out on the water. There have been reports of sweetlip, cod, squire and blackall from all the local reef spots with some excellent blue parrot being caught on crab baits. I must find out how to gather these crab baits as they are always too fast for me to catch on the rocks. I wonder if soldier crabs would be a good substitute. Looks like I might have to organise another ‘research project’ in the future!

The Urangan Pier has reportedly been fishing well when the wind allows. Pelagic species like mackerel and tuna have made their presence felt along with queenfish and golden trevally. There are some big schools of bait fish hanging around the pylons at the deep end of the pier and they are getting smashed by these fish. A live herring under a balloon seems to be the preferred rig but small chrome slugs or spoons fished around the bait schools will also catch fish. Flathead and whiting are still being caught from any of the tidal flats from River Heads to Burrum and in the creeks on the western side of Fraser Island. An incoming tide with live yabbies or blood worms fished over the yabbie banks and tidal flats should be ideal to bag a few whiting; an outgoing tide with soft plastics or live baits fished into the gutters running off the flats should be the way to grab a few flathead. The Burrum, Susan and Mary river systems are also reported to be alive with quality whiting and flathead along with some good sized grunter and mangrove jack. These may well be my best target for this weekend.

The Hervey Bay Game Fishing Club is hosting a competition in our waters this weekend. By all reports the northern Bay and offshore Fraser Island waters are holding a lot of marlin and other game species like mahi mahi, wahoo and cobia so the fishing should be excellent. Good luck to all participants. Until next week enjoy the fishing throughout Hervey Bay,
John