Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 4 Jan 13

Post by Brad » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:24 pm

First of all, a big Happy New Year to all my readers. I have managed to take a few fishing trips while entertaining visitors and family over the Christmas period which has, unfortunately, taken me away from my reporting duties. Apologies to all for the short break. To start with, I must say thanks to my wife who graciously ‘allowed me’ to go fishing on our 42nd wedding anniversary just before Christmas. (I knew that it was a good idea to marry a woman who loves fishing as much as I do!) I was invited to spend an overnighter with a mate chasing the elusive jack in a creek on the western side of Fraser Island. We didn’t bag out on this occasion but caught a few good sized ones along with a few grunter and estuary cod. The mate then went back the following week just after Christmas as a large storm approached and bagged out on Jack with some nice grunter and cod once again to round out his catch.

I also spent an overnighter with a mate from Brisbane chasing summer whiting on the bigger tides during the full moon period. After digging some blood worms on the flats (hard work for the un-fit), we drifted into the creek mouth with the tide and settled down for the night with the expectation of some action close to the mangroves. Sadly, our total for the night was only 5 whopper whiting this time; however my mate didn’t accept the usual ‘should have been here last week’ excuse that I used! The police presence in Hervey Bay over the Christmas/ New Year period was very noticeable as during this trip, my mate was given his third breath test in four days (two by the local Police and once by the Water Police) and tells me that he has only ever had 4 in his entire driving life of over 40 years. I was also tested once on the road with no fails from either of us.

We had arranged a trip out deep sea fishing today (Thursday) but unfortunately the trip has been cancelled due to the 25knot winds that have arrived in Hervey Bay waters. (Bugger!) We had it good for about 10 days but the cyclone in the Coral Sea has changed all that until the middle of next week.Around the Bay, reports indicate that the Urangan Pier has been giving up some brute GT’s and golden trevally for those fishing live baits at the end of the pier and big summer whiting and flathead from the inner channel. Good fish have also been reported to be caught from other groynes and jetties along the Esplanade on the high tides so they may be worth a go if it is too crowded at the end of the Pier. They are all easily accessible from the Esplanade. There are reports of weed on the beaches from Dundowran to Toogoom that is still affecting fishing in these areas.

The closer reef systems around Point Vernon have delivered good supplies of sweetlip and coral trout for those willing to be on the water very early with lures or quality fresh baits. Further afield, the reefs throughout Platypus Bay have also been producing coral trout, blackall and some blue parrot as well as the usual pelagic species for this time of the year. Small black marlin appear to be still populating the wider bay area and are well worth targeting. Spanish mackerel should also be making an appearance about now. Unfortunately for me, but good for those that managed to get there, scarlets, sweetlip, trout and some emperor have been reported from the southern gutters prior to the winds.

Susan/Mary River and the Straits areas are still fishing well for mangrove jack, grunter and salmon. The yabbie flats are also still producing good flathead and summer whiting on the right tides. The Burrum River system has reported to be still providing jacks and good sized summer whiting. Both these river systems, as well as the creeks on the western side of Fraser Island, have been providing some nice mud crabs. I managed 7 nice ones over the past 3 trips and gained a few ‘brownie points’ from my wife. Until next week, continue to enjoy the fishing in Hervey Bay,
John

pommyjon

Re: Weekly Report 4 Jan 13

Post by pommyjon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi Brad Jon here from down South , coming up on Wednesday for a couple of weeks land based. Hope the fresh dont chase all the fish out deep. Whats the latest goss please mate Jon