Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 31 May 13

Post by Brad » Fri May 31, 2013 2:18 pm

In the more coastal parts of the Bay the cooler weather and shorter days in May signal a change in tactics. Rather than chasing the disappearing pelagics, the arrival of the winter whiting, bream, flathead and prawns signals lighter gear and tactics. The winter whiting will initially be spread well throughout the inner areas of the bay and the straits. Last Friday I drifted between Dundowran
and Point Vernon catching 45. As the last boat to enter the loose group of drifting boats, I observed the other boats progressively returning to shore as they reached their limit of 50 per person. While some prefer other baits, the simple strip of squid on a long shank size 2 hook should ensure a great result.

In a month or so, boats chasing the winter whiting will begin to anchor up closely as the winter whiting form more dense breeding congregations. Bream and flathead are also being targeted, especially on the Urangan Pier. In the first channel some excellent flathead around the 50 to 60cm mark are being caught on the abundant herring live baits. Bream are further along the pier and bite well on herring fillets, small live herrings, squid strips and prawn. Watch the under size limits however there are many good sized fish amongst them.

I am looking to target flathead this weekend using surface lures like the Kato Topwalker and the Owner Tango Dancer. They can be cast onto the shallows and retrieved across the drop-offs where predators lie in wait. I also plan to use them on queenfish when the weather improves. Woodgate is the place to go for well sized banana prawns. Many boats launch at Burrum Heads and make the trip across the river and around the headland. The limit is a 10 litre bucket per person per trip and from what I have heard, if you can use a cast net it is a pretty easy catch. Be aware however that Fisheries have been publicising that they are aware of people taking more than their share and will be enforcing the limits. This weekend the weather looks like playing its part so most anglers should be able to take the boat out and fish their preferred tide.