Ph: 0407 627 852
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 30/4/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri May 13, 2016 4:00 pm

The Bay Serves Up Variety For April
April is normally a huge month for us on longtail tuna. This past April saw good numbers at the beginning of the month but saw fish move out of the bay quickly. High water temps I believe contributed to making the longtail’s visit shorter than usual in April. Finally temps are coming down so hopefully we will see a pulse of longtails move in over the coming weeks.
1HervLongtail.jpg
Glenn Han with a April longtail.
Lucky our diverse fishery has not let us down with a range of other species keeping us busy. Mac tuna numbers are certainly not down, with good schools spread right across the bay. Under the mac tunas, golden trevally, queenfish ,cobia and various mackerel and trevally species have been taking offerings fished deeper in the water column.
2HervCobe.jpg
Greg Finney with a flats cobia.
Guests enjoyed some solid queenfish action with many fish over the meter mark hitting the deck, Spanish mackerel also kept us entertained with some spectacular surface strikes while working stick baits for queenfish and longtails. Fly anglers also got into the action with some great fish taken on the fly, longtails,various trevally and mac tuna kept fly anglers busy.
3HervTrev.jpg
Mark Finney with a beautiful diamond trevally.
As I write this we are coping some big winds which can be normal for this time of year, we had a great month generally speaking for weather with 24 days out of 30 for the month fished on the water, assuming I get out over the next few days.As we move into May we will begin to see cool mornings and those afternoon glass outs that late Autumn is famous for. For me these conditions start to get me excited, as Snapper season is almost upon us. When the water cools a little we should start to see one of my favourite sportfish smashing our offerings.
4HervSnap.jpg
Kurt with a cracker from last snapper season which went 96cm.
If you are interested in targeting some of our sub tropical snapper please be in touch as I have dates left for both myself and Murray. fishing@herveybaysportfishing.com.au

Andrew Chorley
Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing
www.herveybaysportfishing.com.au
www.facebook.com/herveybayflyandsportfishing