Tackle World Bundaberg
22 Quay St. Bundaberg, Q 4670
Ph: 07 4153 4747
accounts@tackleworldbundy.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 10 Oct 07

Post by Brad » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:00 pm

Well, it's finally that time of the year when the Win Television Monduran Family Fishing Classic is being held. With well over 600 entrants last year the competition is the second biggest freshwater event held in Queensland. With a $1,000 cash prize for the heaviest barra senior, and and $8,000 boat, trailer and outboard package as the major lucky draw prize, you can understand why it is so popular. This year will also see the opening of the Monduran Anglers and Stocking Association complex which contains a number of viewing tanks which hold different freshwater fish species. This project has taken well over 12 months, and was a mammoth task undertaken by Chris Lupton of D.P.I. and volunteers from M.A.S.A. Without their efforts this project would never have been completed. Congratulations must be given to all volunteers involved.

On the Friday night of the competition I will be having an informal chat to all competitors, discussing lure and tackle selection as well as areas to target so that I can hopefully increase everyone's chance to win the $1,000 big barra prize. I hope to see you all there. On the reef scene keep in mind the Coral Reef Finfish Closure finishes on the 13th of October. Prior to the closure, mac tuna and spotty mackerel were still being taken, along with red emperor, parrot, large hussar, sweetlip and large black king. Mudcrabs have finally come out of their winter hide away with numerous reports of huge, full bucks showing up in pots in most rivers and creeks, while prawns are starting to appear in the Kolan River.

Mangrove jack and fingermark are starting to show in the Burnett River and Baffle Creek, as well as bream, flathead and whiting. Large trumpeter are still being taken in our deeper holes using, preferably, live baits.
Until next time,
Gary Leather
Attachments
Barra.jpg
Adam Cox with one of the largest barra ever seen at Monduran. It was taken and released on 30th September, 2007.