Tackle World Bundaberg
22 Quay St. Bundaberg, Q 4670
Ph: 07 4153 4747
accounts@tackleworldbundy.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 16 May 14

Post by Brad » Fri May 16, 2014 11:05 am

It's good to see that the cold snap we experienced last week has improved, and with the new moon on Thursday night, things are looking good. By all reports the fishing in the Bundaberg region has been very good. From the estuaries, offshore and freshwater impoundments, all options are worth a crack.

Fishing in the Burnett River has seen some lovely fish caught recently. Really nice flathead, king salmon and jewfish have been smashing live baits around Burnett Heads. Anglers who are putting in the hours at night have had better results. Remember to hold on to your rod or secure it well in your rod-holder when targeting these fish as we've heard of quite a fee expensive outfits being lost to a good fish.

A lot of mackerel and queenfish are still around Burnett Heads and the Two Mile off Bargara. Some of the schools of queenies have been massive and have been caught on both poppers and soft plastics. The prawning in the Burnett River was switched on again last week, with most guys being able to get their limit, mainly targeting the deeper holes in the river. This probably explains why the fishing has been so good for so long.

During the cooler weather the winter whiting have started to school up with some good sized fish amongst them, and as winter approaches this will only improve. The shallow flats off the Burnett and Woodgate have been popular spots to chase a feed. On Monday, a mate and I went up to Lake Monduran for a day's barra fishing. We arrived at the dam at 5.30am and headed about halfway up the dam to a spot where I'd have some success a fortnight beforehand. The key was to find a shallow sloping, sandy point with timber structure close to deeper channels, with wind and current flow onto these areas. One you have located a position, try tying up to a tree and cast suspending lures towards the strike zone.

The use of our Humminbird side-imaging units gave us the confidence to keep fishing these areas due to the amount of barra we could see cruising either side of the boat. The water temperature was only 23 degrees, but it seemed enough to get the barra excited. Matty and I ended up boating nine barra to 87cm in five hours, which was one of the best sessions I have had for a while.