Tackle World Bundaberg
22 Quay St. Bundaberg, Q 4670
Ph: 07 4153 4747
accounts@tackleworldbundy.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 07/08/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:44 am

Around Bundaberg this weekend, it looks like estuaries and impoundments are definitely worth a go, with the persistent south-easterlies making offshore conditions too uncomfortable at this stage.

Our local rivers are all fishing fantastic with good numbers of top quality flathead being probably the most popular species caught during the past fortnight.

A local young gun angler and I spent a day fishing the salt water reaches of the Kolan last week. We arrived at the Booyan boat ramp early Thursday morning and motored straight out to the old mouth of the river. We both decided we were only going to fish with soft plastics and small hard body lures for the day. My rod was rigged with 10lb braid and 14lb leader whilst Aaron fished lighter with 6lb braid and 10lb leader. My soft plastic was a 4” white swimming mullet in the Gulp range and it got eaten on my third cast by a nice jewie. We also managed to catch a few grunter and loads of pike from along the black bank.

Later that morning we moved back upstream and fished the mud flats in 1.5 to 2 metres of water. On arrival we noticed a few flathead taking off and stirring up the mud. It didn’t take long for our first double hook-up for the morning. They were just two of about fourteen flathead we caught in that area.

On our second and third drift we noticed nervous bait schools in deeper water, so we tried fishing deeper using the same lures and managed to land a mixed bag of queenfish, trevally, grunter and some nice sized bream. This provided us with some great action until the wind got up and the fish seemed to disappear.

After lunch we came back and cast lures around the tram bridge which resulted in another six flathead. The two most popular soft plastics that did the damage for us were the 4” swimming mullet in pearl and banana prawn colours, and the Zman minnow 3” in opening night and electric chicken colours.

We both had a fantastic day and I’m keen to do more on this amazing estuary.

On the fresh water scene, both Lake Gregory and Lake Monduran have recently accounted for some nice bass as well as a few barra still being hooked by the guys willing to put in a little effort.

Fish with confidence,

Dale Smith

Tackle World Bundaberg
22 Quay St, Bundaberg Q 4670
Ph: 07 41534747
accounts@tackleworldbundy.com.au
BundyJew.jpg
Dale Smith with the 84cm jewfish he caught in the Kolan River last week.
BundyFlat.jpg
Aaron Sohier with one of the many flathead he caught in the Kolan River last week.