Report 22/1/17

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 22/1/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:06 am

I think we should start with the weather and around Central Queensland the wind has eased but the hot weather has attacked us, with the tempatures reaching close to 40 degrees it has detered quiet a lot of fisherman venturing out.

Those that did go out came back with plenty of fish like red throat, trout and plenty of spanish mackerel were caught as well, with the fishing areas to the north producing the better catches. One of the diehard group of fishermen ventured out just north of corio headland and bagged out on cod and grunter. There were others that caught spanish around Hannah reef, and the reefs off Farnborough there were spotty mackerel and plenty ofdoggy mackerel caught.

In the estuaries the fishing has been great with plenty of King salmon and mangrove jack being caught, there have been lots of reports that the big whiting are around and good catches have been reported. Corio Bay and Coorooman creek have also seen the large grunter some reaching 70cm in length.

On the beach scene all the beaches have had good reports coming in especially Lamermoore and Kinks wiith Flathead and whiting being caught, one lucky angler reported a 70cm flathead and a good feed of whiting was also caught. Farnborough beach there have been plenty of whiting caught along most areas of this beach, but those fishing around the sandy point area the fish were a better size.

I CRAB:
There will be a lot of you out there wondering what I CRAB is, it has been set up to teach people to crab the right way, already we are teaching student at 2 schools in this area the right way to crab and look after of crabbing for the future. We are in the process of organising the 2nd I CRAB Classic to be held on the 23rd, 24th and 25th June 2017. If you would like to know more like us on the I CRAB Facebook page and we will help you out. Monies from this goes to Rescue helicopter, SES and Beyond Blue, and the sale of the I CRAB shirts goes toward the teaching and lessons for the students.

Crabbing:
Well the mud crabs are certainly around at the moment, but again there have been mixed reports with some coming back with plenty of crabs and others saying only a couple of crabs. The estuaries up in this area you need to work the tides and certain tides will be better than other, if you want to know more just come in and have a chat. There have been plenty of discussion lately on what the best bait to use, I personally use fish frames, mullet or roo tails, and stay away from Chicken frames and pork as it is proven to make the crabs sick and they will not live long out of the water.

Happy hunting

Alan Coucom
Coucoms.png
Money from the sale of I CRAB shirts goes towards crabbing lesssons for school children.
Coucoms.png (33.39 KiB) Viewed 372 times