Report 1/6/17

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 1/6/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:15 am

Well the weather has improved with the winds easing enough to allow the fishermen to venture out and catch some of the reef fish and the mackerel on the outer reefs, unfortunately it has only favoured those that can fish med week as the weekend have been still to windy to fish. Now all areas of Keppel Bay there have been mackerel caught as well as areas to the north and south, plenty of spanish and spotties landed.

The reef fishing has been good with plenty of Nannygai, red throat, trout and red emperor reported caught, if you would like to know call into the shop for more information.

If you would rather fish the the beaches there is a good chance you will catch a blue salmon , whiting, flathead or some of those big bream being caught at the moment. There have been plenty blue salmon caught along most beaches with the best bait being herring and white bait, or flasha lures.

In the estuaries there have been plenty of salmon whiting and big bream, the water is still warm and the fingermark, mangrove jack and the odd barra are still being caught in some of the estuaries. Use the live bait or soft plastic to catch the barra and jack, and don’t forget to take the crabpot or dilly as there are plenty of crabs around at the moment. There have been plenty of reports coming in of crabbers bagging out and some even going over the limit and having to throw some back.

While talking about crabbing the 2017 I CRAB classic is on the 23rd, 24th, and 25th June held out in front of the shop, it is a crabbing competition with a difference as there are 3 mystery weights placed in a sealed envelope and they are not announced till all crabs have been weighed in. The junior and senior closest to those weights are the winner, then all the juniors and seniors are combined and the winner is the closest to the overall mystery weight.. All the proceeds go to Helicopter rescue, SES and Beyond blue.
With the overall section open to seniors and juniors and will win a polycraft tuff tender crabbing boat, there is about $12,000 prizes up for grabs with this competition.
See you there.

It is very noticeable that the fishing around the islands and along the beaches and estuaries have improved, and I am sure this is because of the net free zones implemented a few years aago. We should still look after our fish stocks for the future generations to enjoy.

Now there will be a lot of you out there wondering what I CRAB is, it has been set up to teach people to crab the right way, already we are teaching student at 2 schools in this area on crabbing and looking after our crab stocks for the future generations., the sale of the I CRAB shirts goes toward the teaching and lessons for the students. If you know of any club or oganization that would like to have us attend and present a crabbing information night please contact me at the shop on Ph: 07 49302301 or anyone wanting advise or information on fishing Central Queensland or I CRAB, please contact us on coucomscrabpots@gmail.com and we will certainly help you out where we can.
Keep the crabpots baited and set and lines tight

till next time

Alan Coucom (AKA Crusty the Crabber)

Coucom’s Crabpots and Fishing Gear
Phone: 07 49302301
Email: coucomscrabpots@gmail.com