Report 7/2/18

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 7/2/18

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Over the past couple of months also known as the Christmas period the fishing and crabbing along the Capricorn coast has been very productive with plenty of fish and crabs being caught, and this included the fish from offshore.

Over the past 2 weeks there have been a lot of good reports from our loyal fishermen heading out and reporting back, It is pleasing to hear some many good reports coming in from people fishing in Keppel bay and close in reefs.

Let’s talk about offshore and around the islands:
There have been plenty of fish caught like red throat, trout, nannygai, Cobia, red emperor and Spanish mackerel. Most of the popular areas produced plenty of fish. These areas like the kepples Island and flat and perforated fished really good for Spanish mackerel and the red fish.
The close in reefs like Finlays and ritamada also produced plenty of fish.

Let’s talk about the creeks and estuaries:
There have been plenty of people camping and fishing the estuaries like Corio bay and Coorooman Creek, and they also were very happy with the fish and crabs they caught. The only downer is that the low life are still going up to these areas and raiding people crabpots, they will get caught eventually and lets hope they throw the book at the scum.

Let’s talk about the beach fishing:
It is pleasing to see the amount of people fishing the beaches and catching a good feed of fish, since the net free fishing zones have been introduced it has certainly made a difference. All the beaches have fished well of the Christmas period with Nine mile and Farnborough the most popular.

Let talk about crabbing:
There are plenty of crabs around in the Corio and Coorooman creek systems, but there are still some crabs that need to be put back until they fill up a bit as they are still empty.

We have a lot of people come into the shop looking for information on crabbing and crabpots, at the shop we mainly sell Coucom’s Crabpots and have only just started selling some cheaper pots for those not wanting to buy quality crabpots. All of our crabpot are made to be turtle friendly crabpots to meet the responsibly crabbing guideline of the Queensland fisheries. Because there are so many crabs being caught, we ask that you look after our crabbing stocks, and as we so often say please check them as there are a lot of soft shelled crabs arouund. We find that the best bait is mullet or fish frame or if you can get any roo tail this is the best, it is advisable to stay away from pork, chicken and dog and cat food.

Let’s Talk about I CRAB:
In conjunction with the Yeppoon Rotary club we run the I CRAB Classic to help raise funds for the Yeppoon SES and Capricorn Helicopter Rescue. The dates for the 2018 will be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd June. There will be a boat up for grabs, and remember it is the closest weight to the selected mystery weights set by a person prior to the competition.

If you don't know what I CRAB is, it has been set up to teach people to crab the right way. Already we are teaching students at 2 schools in this area the right way to crab and look after crabbing for the future. We have run 2 I CRAB Classics and have given funds to Rescue helicopter and SES, and we are organising the next I CRAB Classic to be held in June 2018. If you would like to know more, like us on the I CRAB Facebook page and we will help you out. Monies from I CRAB products goes toward the teaching of crabbing the right way, for our kids and newcomers to the sport.

Happy hunting til next time

Alan Coucom

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear.
34 Normanby Street,
Yeppoon QLD
Ph: (07) 4930 2301