Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Report Tues 19th Sept 06

Post by Brad » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:02 pm

19/9/06
There's very little to report from the last week due to persistent strong to gale force winds, so let's look ahead.

This Friday is the new moon, so if the weather is reasonably kind, fish should be moving around. Tides are high mid morning and low mid afternoon, so you can fish high or low depending on your preference.

The moon is good for chasing a Spanish mackerel just on daylight, and prior to the recent blow, there were a few around. Dark moon tides this time of year are not huge, so even the evening highs are quite fishable.

If the inshore waters clear enough, there will be doggies around. But if the water is still a bit murky, just go a bit further offshore to places like 40 Acre, Conical Island, Square Rocks and Five Rocks Point and you should find a few mackerel on the chew.

I'd suggest the beaches will be well worth an early morning try too. By the weekend there will be northerlies, so the mornings will be pretty good and watching the sun rise over the Keppels is hard to beat. Look for dart in the gutters as they fill with the incoming tide. The northern parts of Farnborough and Nine Mile beaches would be my picks.

I'd also expect to find some decent grunter pushing up into Coorooman Creek. They often only bite for about an hour each tide though, so you need patience or luck to be there when they decide to feed.

There are still reasonable numbers of flathead around all estuaries.

With the burst of hot weather again, the Fitzroy will almost certainly fire up for barra. I'm no big fan of dark moon tides for barra however, but you should still find a few here and there around the change of the tide.

Lastly, try an early morning attack on the pan-sized reefies around the Keppels, but use heavy enough line to stop a coral trout that are always around.

Keep your rods bent.

Kim Martin