Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Report Tues 23rd Jan 07

Post by Brad » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:48 pm

23/1/07
I'm looking forward to the first long weekend of the year, and the weather at this early stage, looks like it might be okay.

The tides across the long weekend will be pretty small with the quarter moon falling right on Australia Day. However on similar tides last quarter, the deep water out wide really fired and surprisingly so did the Spanish mackerel. I would expect to see much the same situation again this quarter, weather permitting.

Best catches were taken between 40-80kms from Yeppoon, but closer some good catches of grunter and mixed reefies also came aboard. Bottom fishing close to the Keppels was much quieter as you'd expect. Grass sweetlip have been around in good numbers in most locations and I found some really good quality doggies out wide from the Keppels on unweighted pilchards (bit of berley helps).

The local estuaries have been producing some medium sized (35-40cm) grunter of late. Try both Coorooman and Waterpark creeks for these. Best tide seems to be the second half of the run out.

The crabs appear to have been pretty well fished out in most places around CQ for the moment, but a bit of rain could tempt those remaining out their holes.

I haven't heard too many reports from the Fitzroy River lately, but there have been a few schools of blue threadfin moving around the delta, so they may be moving upstream by now.

Don't overlook the freshwater scene either right now. Awoonga and Callide dams are still giving up quality barra and offer a good family option for a long weekend.

See you on the water.

Kim Martin