Report Tuesday 15 May 07

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Report Tuesday 15 May 07

Post by Brad » Tue May 15, 2007 7:19 am

Not much to report from last week. It blew a gale, and even rained on the coast right through the weekend. No one really complained about that though. The forward weather pattern holds some hope for later this week. If it is accurate and things settle right down, everyone will just about be ready to drop a line again I reckon. Thursday sees the new moon, with pretty big night tides. By Sunday though, the tides will drop off quite quickly, with very small highs in the midddle of the day. The estuaries should fish OK from tinnies. Try for Pikey bream and flathead, with some quality whiting in the deeper gutters. Blue threadfin will also be worth a look, especially after dark on the run up tide. You should get a grunter or two for your trouble as a bonus.

Offshore should see some decent spanos taken from the wider islands in the bay, with much larger specimens up north. Reefies will be on the chew as usual I predict. The tides aren't my favourites for beach fishing, but Rundles Beach could be the pick for a feed of whiting. The Fitzroy River water quality is getting better by the day. That should herald reasonable threadfin fishing, along with a few flathead and bream
in the mid reaches.

The annual Take a Kid Fishing Day is on Sunday 20 May. Locally it will be held at the southern end of Lammermoor Beach on the coast, between 9am and noon. Parents are encouraged to have a morning's fishing with the kids. There will be give aways, sample bags and a free sausage sizzle. Registrations should be made for the morning at Barra Jacks in Rocky, and Capricorn Coast Sports in Yeppoon.