Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Report 30 Jul 07

Post by Brad » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:17 am

The predicted good weather arrived right on que. This week looks like
providing some more good weather and looking into the future, I'm even brave enough to suggest that the next high pressure system coming through will also see us enjoying fairly calm conditions into next week.
This should all see some hot mackerel action inshore in Keppel Bay. The day time temperatures have finally warmed up, so I'd expect to see the sea surface temperature also increasing a degree or so too. All the popular sports like Iron Pot, Rita Mada, Bangalee and the islands in the southern bay should fire up.

The wide grounds continue to produce more than a decent feed for most
parties with emperor and Red jew the predominant species. I have unconfirmed reports of quality bream around leading up to the full moon, but I haven't been chasing them myself. If last month was any guide
though, they will go quiet for the first part of this week while they spawn. it hasn't been the big season for flathead I was hoping for, with most people having to work fairy hard for a feed. I think the water temp has been bit low, and hopefully things will fire up a bit later than normal this year.

There have been some real monster Black jew around, and this week is prime time to go out after dark and try for one. Some of these fish have been over 30kg, so make sure your tackle and gear can handle them. They like a big mullet or whole squid. I heard of a commercial netter who found some really big King threadfin in the Fitzroy River last week. The fish were all between one and one and half metres long! King this big rarely seem to get caught on a line for some reason, but you never know.
Good luck.