Report 9 Aug 07

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301

Report 9 Aug 07

Post by Brad » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:05 am

There were some magic days weatherwise last week. Fishing is still fairly quiet though in most locations due to the cold water, but it is slowly increasing in temperature. Offshore there have been a few reefies willing to bite, with tuskfish and smallish nannygai in evidence around the Keppel's. Some bait is starting to move inshore, so I'd expect to see the doggie mackerel close on their heels. August is traditionally a bit of an "in between" sort of month. The winter species tail off, but the warmer water species have still got their slippers on and not too keen to feed too seriously.

Given the severity of the winter this year, I suggest the transition may be even slower than normal. I'm hoping we will see a late run of flahead, so it's still well worth a try for them in Coorooman Creek and Corio Bay. One species that has been in good numbers this winter is steelback. Some people call them flat salmon, but whatever you call them, they can provide a bit of fun on light tackle, and bled and cooked fresh, aren't the worst table fish on the planet. Coorooman Creek is the best spot to chase a steely. They are a schooling fish, so respond to a berley trail quite well. A long shank whiting hook with a cube of herring is as good a bait as any. They will flash at a very small metal lure or jig too, but bait is by far the best bet. Look for them around rock bars and structrues
where current lines appear. Try the mid reaches of the Fitzroy River for a King threadfin. There seem to be a few moving after dark, judging by the appearance of nose dents in the mud banks. These dents are caused by King as they ram their noses into the mud to frighten up the prawns which they delight in devouring. It doesn't look too promising for fishing the wide grounds for a few days, with a high pressure system set to bring some onshore winds for a while, but close inshore after lunch could be OK. Good luck.