Report 22 Aug 07

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Report 22 Aug 07

Post by Brad » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:00 am

The fairly breezy conditons are keeping things a bit quiet at the moment.
However there are always a few bright spots if you look hard enough. One of these is the good old Fitzroy River. Although we had an unseasonal flow come down in June, the water is rapidly starting to clear and the saltwater is pushing upstream. This is evidenced by a commercial fisher dropping crab pots right in the city reach during the week. Word is the crabs are not thick, but those that are around are of good size and quality. The first few early season barra are also falling for live bait after dark around the lights of the "New bridge".

That one or two degree rise in water temperature is having a postive effect. Bait schools are moving inshore again and they are being pursued by blue threadfin and the odd mackerel school. I saw a school of fish working bait a couple of hundred metres off the main beach at Yeppoon this week. I suspect it may have been a school of threadies having breaky. Blue's are also in good numbers in Coorooman Creek and will undoubtly really fire up on the evening flood tides leading up to the full moon. They are also around the Fitzroy delta and in the mid reaches of the system too.

Quality whiting continue to show up in the Corio Bay and along Long Beach, but North Curtis Island is surprisingly quiet for some reason. There are no reports from offshore due to the windy conditions and things don't look like improving in the short term. I'll be at the annual ANSA statewide meeting this weekend at Cool Waters, so I don't care anyway.