Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 12 Sep 07

Post by Brad » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:01 am

Looks like Spring might have finally Sprung. The first north-easterlies
have arrived and daytime temperatures are warming up. Inshore the water is still quite murkey thanks to the high winds last week, but that should settle down during this week. As soon as that happens, we should see an increase in Doggie mackeral catches at all the popular locations along the coast. There should also the be the early scouts from the approaching Spotted mackeral schools moving down from Shoalwater Bay.

Tides this coming weekend are perfect for reef fishing and the four day chart looks promising. Although Coral trout continued to bite pretty much right through winter, they will really fire up once the water temperature gets back above 20 degrees again. I have heard a few reports of decent flathead around the front of the estuaries, but not too many upstream. Waterpark Creek is running very fresh from the unseasonal rain last week, so I can't imagine Corio Bay will fish too well for a few weeks. Best to try Coorooman Creek if you need an estuary fix.

As I said last week, the barrage gates on the Fitzroy River have been open and the city reach in particular is dotted with clumps of floating hyacynth weed washed downstream. I think it would be a complete waste of time trying to catch a fish upstream near Rocky at the moment, and I would doubt that it would be much better until you get well below Thompson's Point. Perhaps the creeks around the river delta will fish OK as a result of the fresh flow though. Try the rock bars in Connors Creek for grunter and fingermark, then over towards North Curtis Island for cod and odds and sods. A feed of dart from the beaches north of Yeppoon would be an option. They like beach worms, yabbies or peeled fresh prawns.
Good luck.