Weekly Report 18 Apr 08

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 18 Apr 08

Post by Brad » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:30 pm

The relentless wind is back. Last weekend wasn't quite as good as was predicted, but that didn't stop most offshore boaties from getting out. Despite the ordinary tides and not so flash conditions, many parties brought a feed home. Out wide of course was the pick of locations, with the usual big reds and assorted other reefies. Closer in it was a bit harder, though some reasonable trout and reefies did come from around the Keppels. There are rumours of mackerel around, but it seems they are on the move and here one day, gone the next. A patch of Geys turned up at Findlays, but disappeared fairly quickly. I suggest they might be moving into the southern end of the bay, so when conditions allow, I'd have a look around the likes of Pelican, Wedge and Divided Islands. The odd medium sized spano are nosing around the wider bay islands as you'd expect this time of year, with a few coming into Conical Island as well. They tend to be in the 5kg size range, but still well worth chasing.

I tried the northern beaches and found the water still very dirty. You can see the line of cleaner water a few hundred metres out, but right on the coast it isn't great just yet. Needless to say I found fish hard to find. There are still a few crabs in the creeks, so it's worth dropping a few pots in before the weather cools down. The full moon tides aren't huge this weekend and quite fishable in the estuaries. There have been pan-sized grunter in most places and these chew best on the early dropping tide in my experience. Speaking of grunter, a few parties have made pigs of themselves up north lately, with excessive catches. When we get hit with a fairly low bag limit on grunter down the track, you can blame people like these idiots for that.