Weekly Report 18 June 08

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 18 June 08

Post by Brad » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:20 pm

I don't like the look of the four day weather map. It is predicting a monster high pressure system taking up residence in the bight pushing strong cold southerlies into Queensland. The upshot of that is a pretty ordinary weekend ahead. Venturing offshore looks totally out of the question, so we'd better concentrate on the estuaries.

The recent burst of cold weather will have dropped the water temperature a few degrees that should fire things up a bit. I would expect to see reasonable flathead fishing in Coorooman Creek and Corio Bay. I would also think there should be Blue threadfin schools moving around the place following the full moon. The Fitzroy River in the Rocky city reach is looking a picture at the moment. It is nice and green and fairly clear (for the river anyway). I have heard of good sized Pikey bream being caught around the rocks and the bridges, especially from half tide down. In times gone by, there also used to be grunter this time of year there too, so who knows - they could be there too. If the winds don't get too far around into the south-east, the beaches may fish OK, especially in the afternoons. Try for steelback, whiting and dart and possibly Blue threadfin.