Weekly Report 4 July 08

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 4 July 08

Post by Brad » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:51 pm

Looks like another period of strong winds on our doorstep unfortunately, just in time for the weekend. However it is probably going to be fairly short lived and of course, things will improve by the middle of next week. Mid week just past provided those who don't have top work a small window of opportunity. There still doesn't appear to be any Doggies inshore, but there are patches out wider if you stumble upon them. At least they are of good size when you do find them. Some top quality bream are coming out of the Fitzroy River as predicted. There are fish around 40cm I'm hearing. The middle reaches along the stone walls are one of the best places.

While I haven't heard of school-sized Blue threadfin schooling up yet, there are somne really top quality Blues in the estuaries right now. Reports from Corio Bay are of fish up to about 4kg and I landed one in a hole up the back of Fishing Creek last Saturday that measured 69cm (about 3kg). Flathead are about too, with quite a few in the 50-60cm size range. Some nice grunter are also being taken in Coorooman Creek and around the Port Alma and the Narrows. There is finally some good news about the long awaited loading pontoon at Rosslyn Bay. Our preferred design is being seriously considered at last and we may see some work commence by the end of this year with any luck. The "old ramp" closest to the coastgurad will be resurfaced next year and hopefully a floating loading pontoon will be incorporated in that upgrade as well. Fingers crossed.