Weekly Report 18 July 08

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301

Weekly Report 18 July 08

Post by Brad » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:47 pm

A near perfect weekend is predicted. That will see literally hundreds of trailers jostling for parking spaces at Rosslyn Bay. The weather all week has been pretty good, but surprisingly catches reported haven't been anything special. I worked very hard for half a dozen reefies on Tuesday around the Keppels. The water temperature east of the islands was just over 19 degrees, while inshore it was a full degree less. That surprised me, as I didn't expect it to be that low given the relatively warm winter so far. There were a lot of Doggies up north, but even they were reluctant to bite. Maybe this will be the weekend to catch a snapper though? It's full moon and conditions seem perfect. Try places like Man and Wife, Greasy Alley and even Conical Rocks. Further afield, I'd expect some good snapper to be hanging around Rundle Island and wide of Cape Capricorn.

The estuaries have seen some schools of Blue Threadfin over tha past fortnight, but they have been moving around and can be hard to locate. I'd reckon it will be a good thing if you chase a flathead on the afternoon run out tides. I've even heard some crabbers will be putting their pots in this weekend. There are muddies right up in the city reach of the Fitzroy River, but most seem to be females for some reason. Definitely the time to be out on the water and enjoying the experience.
Good luck.