Weekly Report 25 Jul 08

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 25 Jul 08

Post by Brad » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:22 am

What an interesting week we've just experienced. A tropical low pressure system in mid winter. Very strange indeed. But it dumped 100mm of rain at my place, so that can't be a bad thing. No surprise there is nothing to report on the fishing front - even the keenest fisho stayed home I reckon. A week ago before the rain though, we had a great patch of weather that saw everyone with something that floats heading offshore or up the creeks. Despite the good weather and very favourable tides, fishing around the closer islands was extremely slow. I was on the water 4 times over the week and never saw anything that looked like a mackerel.

Reports from way out wide were better though, with reasonable catches of reds and lipper. Same scenario for crews who put in the miles and headed right up north. Good catches of mixed reefies and the odd mackerel and queenies. I heard there are still a few flathead in the creeks, but they have been following baits and not eating them for the most part too. Hopefully this blow will turn things around and the fish will be a bit more cooperative as the week progresses? There have been birds working along the coast, but I'm not sure what they were into. Could be ribbonfish I suspect, as before the blow the spano fishers filled their freezers with this snotty species.
Keep trying.