Weekly Report 9 Aug 08

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301

Weekly Report 9 Aug 08

Post by Brad » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:36 am

It's till pretty quiet on the fishing front from most reports I've received. Closer reef fishing has been very slow and even out wide it's been a bit hit and miss. Still no Doggies in the bay unfortunately. Large bait schools have been sitting north of Keppel Bay, but even they have disappeared lately. We're looking at a bit of a dodgy winter pattern for a while it seems. Mornings are pretty prickly once you get out a kilometer of so, but it does quieten down during the afternoons. I'd be looking at having a bash around the islands after lunch.

There are some reports of Blue salmon on the beaches, but few are showing up in the estuaries proper. Maybe they'll move in as the moon makes later in the week? There have been a few decent whiting also along the beaches, but numbers aren't anything to write home about. The Fitzroy River is looking great, even though we've had quite a few gates open on the barrage. I'd normally start looking for the odd early barra in the city reach next week, but this year as the moon happens, I suggest you hang off until the next neaps in a fortnight. Might be worth a try in the afternoon just before dark off the local rocky headlands for a bream or two. Berley will help bring them to you. Fish light, with minimal lead. I like small or cut herring off the rocks.
Don't forget you beanie to keep your buccanears warm.