Weekly Report 15 Aug 08

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 15 Aug 08

Post by Brad » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:17 am

Things might be starting to look up a bit.
The pros have been taking Blue threadfin by the tonne around the mouth of the Fitzroy River and there are reports of schools in Corio Bay. This full moon should be prime time for a late afternoon fish for Blues. I would expect Coorooman Creek to also fire up, especially around the oyster rocks downstream of the boat ramp. If a school comes past, flick small metal lures at them , or float herring down. Smaller fish are also quite partial to yabbies. The beaches would be worth a try for whiting on the run up tides in the mornings. Catches offshore are still pretty ordinary for the most part, however I did hear of one party who found some quality reds and assorted lippers and things a couple of hours away.

I did notice a fair few booby's sitting on the water about 1 kilometer off the beach last weekend. Every now and then one would take off and fly around looking for bait schools. A couple of times they dived, so there must be some bait hanging along the coast. You'd have to think the Doggies must be there somewhere. Last weekend's local fishing contest saw a few decent fish weighed in, but it was pretty quiet for competitors generally. It's still cool enough for a flathead, but don't follow me, because I can't find them.
Good luck.