Weekly Report 23 Jan 09

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 23 Jan 09

Post by Brad » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:31 am

Talk about small windows - last Saturday was one such tiny window. The forecast was spot on and I reckon everyone with a boat longer than 4.5m was on the water. The Rosslyn Bay Harbour ramp carpark was full even before daylight when I arrived and I had to park in the overflow carpark. That indicates that around 300 boats launched from there last Saturday. A lot of folks ventured long distances and most were rewarded with good catches of reefies from what I hear. But I fished around the Keppels and also came home very satisfied with a great bag of Grass lippers and tuckfish. There weren't a lot of pelagics about, apart from decent cobia out wide.

The water inshore is slowly clearing up after the prolonged rough weather coupled with a fresh run in the Fitzroy River. I haven't heard any significant reports of catches from the estuaries, but this is par for the course this last 12 months unfortunately. The forecast is for rain this weekend, but the winds should be reasonable, so take a raincoat and give it a try. I'm going to have a look at the northern beaches for dart on the afternoon run out tide. There would normally be a few grunter sniffing about in Coorooman Creek and upper Waterpark this time of year, so maybe an evening fish on the run-in tides could produce a feed. Remember the minimum size for grunter increases to a ridiculous 40cm as from 1 March, so better get what you can now before they get taken away from us.
Happy hunting.