Weekly Report 16 Jul 09

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 16 Jul 09

Post by Brad » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:51 am

A few days of winter have descended upon us, with single digit mornings. That won't hurt after a period of pretty windy onshore weather dirtying up the inshore waters. Needless to say the opportunities for offshore fishing have been few of late. I haven't wet a line now for a few weeks, so I'm getting a bit anxious and need some therapy. That may have to come in the form of wandering the creeks, but it's still better than no fishing at all. There should still be the odd decent flathead around the gutters and if you're lucky, a school of Blue salmon might materialise.

The Fitzroy River continues to produce some decent fish, especially in the city reach. The odd big bream has venturted upstream and apparently the stream is full of juvenile King theadfin. Mixed in with the younguns, are a few big fellas. There have been good sized prawn in the river and that is what the King are hunting. I've heard reports of whiting along the beaches, but my personal efforts have only resulted in lots of undersized fish, with few over the 23cm legal size. The new 2 lane boat ramp at Coorooman Creek was opened last weekend and is an excellent amenity for fishers wanting to access the area. The is now ample sealed car and trailer parking adjacent to the ramp and the angle of the new ramp allows all tide launching without difficulty.

Everyone is hoping the mackerel will show up inshore any time now. I did hear a school of decent Spotties came and went a couple of weeks ago, so could be a good sign? There is still time to find a snapper around the Keppels, as it looks like it will be a late season. A feed of squid is alo a must this time of year.