Weekly Report 13 Sep 09

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 13 Sep 09

Post by Brad » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:22 am

I've been over the ditch in NZ for a couple of weeks, hence no recent weekly reports, but back on deck now. Offshore fishing has been average at best, more likely below average for most I hear. I can confirm that first hand from a recent trip around the Keppels. I fished hard for a minimal return of reefies and I never saw anything that looked like a mackerel. Surface water temps are between 22 and 23 degrees and the water was pretty cloudly for some reason. I would expect to see inshore reef fishing start to imporve gradually though as water temps lowly rise past 24 degrees.

I'm told that estuary fishing hasn't been too bad lately though, with whiting, flathead and Blue salmon being about in reasonable numbers. The good old Fitzroy River is still giving up its share of fish for those with knowledge and patience. Apparently there was a bit of a run of Doggie mackerel and even a few really good spotties a fortnight ago, but they have gone missing again. Maybe they'll materialise again as we approach the new moon? Hope so. By next report I will have been out and about a bit more, so should have more to talk about then.