Weekly Report 19 Sep 09

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 19 Sep 09

Post by Brad » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:33 pm

It's certainly full-on Spring now. The forecast is for north-easterlies for some time ahead, so no respite from the very warm weather. I wish I could report that there are lots of mackerel around, but sadly I can't. It's stacking up for two consecutive years of extremely poor inshore mackerel catches in Keppel Bay. I did hear there are supposedly good schools of Spotties up north around Bowen. If that is the case that's great, but strange that they are that far north this late in the year. They used to be up there in June/July in years gone by. By September, they historically were in Central Queensland on their migration south. Hmmmm!!! Spring isn't noted for Spanish mackerel in CQ, but there are always a few around for those willing to put in the time trolling big baits.

We're looking at very large new moon tides for a while now, so bottom fishing offshore will be pretty hard going except for the hour around the turn of the tide. Best advice might be to troll for a mackerel from daylight, then anchor up an hour before the top of tide and try for a reefie while the run is at its slackest. Once it picks up on the run out, pull up on a beach and have a swim and a picnic I reckon. The river and estuaries will run way too hard to fish in any comfort, but if you really must, then try walking the gutters for the odd flathead on the last couple of hours of the dropping tide.