Weekly Report 18 Nov 09

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 18 Nov 09

Post by Brad » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:15 pm

What a nuisance - half decent weather during the 5 day reef closure. Never mind, we all want to believe the closure is achieving something positive. We're currently experiencing extremely hot weather, with strong afternoon northerlies. Hopefully they run their course soon so we can get a go at the fish for a change. If and when things change for the better, I'd be looking to get a feed of reefies around the Keppels and certainly out wider. Water temps are up, so species like Coral trout will be out and about. I think we've all given up on a mackeral season now. All we ca hope for is a half decent Spanish mackeral run during summer. If this happens, you'll need to head up north and out wide to find them.

I've heard whispers of decent flathead coming out of Coorooman Creek lately. There should also be a few decent fingermark in the creek right now, but you'll need livies to trick them. The coast was still choked with thick smelly scum last weekend, so land-based fishing will be pretty problematic. If you can find a break in the scum, you might get a few dart and whiting. It could be worth spending a few hours soaking a bait after dark in the Fitzroy in search of a feed of grunter. If they come in this year, they should be there any time now.