Weekly Report 20 May 10

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 20 May 10

Post by Brad » Thu May 20, 2010 8:20 am

We've had a few days of pretty typical May weather this past week - cool breezy mornings, dropping out to lovely conditions in the afternoon. Makes you just want to go fishing. The water inshore has finally cleared up, making for excellent conditions fishing off the beaches in particular. There are still some whiting and dart schools along the coast and in the estuaries, but the big news is the number and good size of the steelback schools. I haven't seen quality steelies like this for many years. Could this be the result of the reduction in commercial netting along some of our beaches because of Yellow zoning? Possibly. There were schools of juvenile steelies along the coast a couple of years ago and it looks like they've managed to escape the nets and grow up.

They are great fun when taken on 3-4kg line. They are taking very small metal lures at the moment and small strip baits. Bled immediately and cooked fresh, steelies are average, but just fun to catch in my book and released. There are also a few Blue salmon among them, so don't be surprised to get nailed by a larger fish into the bargain. Offshore the water temperature is dropping quite quickly, but pan-sized reefies are still there to be had around the Keppel Islands. Some reasonable spanos are being taken around the wider islands and a few doggies are moving closer to shore. I also heard a whisper that there were some decent grunter up north.

The winter temperatures will herald the end of the barra season, but some decent muddies were still around last week. Keep an eye out for bait schools along the coast. There will be Blue salmon with them for sure. Definitely worth trying the Rosslyn Bay harbour again over the next couple of weeks.