Weekly Report 17 Sep 10

Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 17 Sep 10

Post by Brad » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Another report with little good news I'm afraid. We've had some pretty good weather through the week of course. Retirees, mine workers and those just in need of some saltwater therapy have been out there trying. There should be mackerel everywhere inshore right now, but there aren't. A few lucky soles have stumbled on small schools of reasonable Doggies, but in the main the only ones being caught are undersized. At least there have been large numbers of Watson's bonito around, so spano fishers have improved their bait supply immensely. The Keppel Islands haven't started to really fire up yet, as the water temperature is probably a few degrees too low still. Once it gets above about 24 degrees though, things should improve. Out wide it's even been pretty slow by offshore standards.

As I've said in previous reports, our poor estuaries and beaches have copped a hammering from nets lately, but amazingly, where the nets have missed, there are top quality whiting still around. I have no intention of giving away any locations, you'll just have to go and hunt for yourself. The Fitzroy River is running fresh and brown from the unseasonal rain to our west. That has caused this year's Rocky Barra Bounty to be cancelled unfortunately, but you can't change nature - not yet anyway. The chart shows a mother of all high pressure systems bearing down on the east coast this coming week, so forget any notions of going fishing while that hangs around and they are confidently predicting some more quite significant rain. So all in all, a pretty ordinary outlook right now.